Nurses using abusive language to expectant mothers

I have seen several times in newspapers and other media, people blaming nurses and midwives for using abusive language to expectant mothers. Recently it happened to my wife. The nurse told my wife in my presence: “It is too much, can’t you stop”? I want to teach the nurse a lesson. I want to sue the nurse in Court, among other orders, to seek orders for her deregistration. Please advise me.


We are very sorry for what happened to your wife. Unfortunately, Courts have no original jurisdiction to entertain complaints against nurses and midwives. The disciplinary procedure for nurses and midwives is governed by the Nursing and Midwifery Act, 2010 (the Act). Before going to Court the Act requires you to report the incidence to the Registrar of the Nursing and Midwifery Council (the Registrar). The Registrar receives complaints on behalf of the Council against any nurse or a midwife on her unfitness to practice. Section 25(2) defines “unfitness to practice” to mean a nurse or a midwife whose fitness to practice is impaired by reason of professional misconduct; lack of competence; a conviction for criminal offence; his/her physical or mental health is impaired or a determination by a Medical Board in Tanzania or any other licensing body responsible for health regulation in any other jurisdiction. According to section 25(3) (c), abusing a client verbally, physically, sexually or emotionally is reckoned as one of the acts of professional misconduct. For that matter, the nurse who used abusive language against your wife can be reported to the Registrar disciplinary action by the Council.

The Council after due inquiry made in accordance with the provisions of the Act may order the removal of the name of the nurse or midwife from the register or roll; order the suspension from practice of the nurse or midwife for a period that it may deem fit or caution, censure or otherwise reprimand the nurse or midwife. A person aggrieved by the decision of the Council may appeal to the Minister responsible for health matters. Ultimately, a person aggrieved by the decision of the Minister may, within 3 months, refer the matter to the High Court. Our guidance is for you to follow the process above.