A woman’s duty to maintain a former husband

I am married to a salaried woman. I fell ill and became totally paralysed and my wife has deserted me. I am now depending on Samaritans to survive. May I know if the law allows a man to petition for maintenance orders against a woman?
II, Mtwara

Section 115(2) of the Law of Marriage Act gives the Court power to order a woman to pay maintenance cost to her husband or former husband where the man is incapacitated wholly or partially from earning livelihood due to mental or physical injury or ill-health. The Court can even order a woman to maintain the children if the former husband is unable to maintain them.